Thursday, April 28, 2016

Shamen - The Boss Drum Singles - 1992-1993


Having fallen in love with Make It Mine and Move Any Mountain, I was ecstatic when Boss Drum came out.  The album, fresh out of the wrapper is easily and instantly accessible.  Every song is a pop hook.  Every track is sticky sweet electronic candy.  Which makes it, after several listens, a little bit too much.

I know that a lot of people made fun of these guys for this album and the album after, Axis Mutatis, for being bubble gum pop music.  Most thought they were ball-less, lacking substance and depth with no clear song writing ability shy of a clever rhyme and rap.  Maybe so. Maybe that's why they aren't around today.  Maybe that's why they sound dated, now.  And, after looking back at where they started and how they evolved, and the sound they tried to return to, we all know it wasn't all their fault.  No need to go into it, just wiki their history and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I collected as many of their releases as possible and mixes where I could find them.  There are way too many to make a single mix disc.  In fact, there are so many mixes for this one album, I was able to compile a mix disc for each single.  I know that I'm missing about 6 mixes total, not counting the album track remixes on The Face.  Some are simply impossible to find digitally, and I don't have a turntable to hook up to my computer.  But, I think there are enough here to keep you satisfied.

One idea, collect all the Beatmasters tracks on one disc and pop that in the car.  It might be fun for a while...







8 comments:

  1. This Is AWESOME!!!
    I have been trying to find all this and you a true life saver. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i might have some of the missing ones. tell me which one do you need

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like the post. BCBC, as for the mixes, when I dig out my vinyl, I'll figure out what I don't have digitally already. I do know that I don't have any of the Tommy D remixes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a handful of mixes of "Ebeneezer Goode" you can only get on a French digipak promo CD. I have some weird remixes of various songs off this album that are on promo-only 12"es, I'll digitize them at some point. You should do this same thing for the En-Tact album!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know when you do! I thought I had them all, guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Justin Robertson / Lionrock mixes of Boss Drum have always been my faves.there was also the excellent Different Drum album they released that captured a lot of good mixes and gave you a whole new version of the Boss Drum album

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing singles of the Shamen Boys, music with a full energy and spiritual focused not only danceable, thank you and go ahead!

    ReplyDelete