Thursday, June 2, 2016

Andy Bell - Electric Blue - 2005

Andy Bell's first solo album, I always thought Electric Blue had a shitty cover.  Him with a blue face, how dumb.  And I mean that, just dumb.  The album deserved such a better wrapping than that.  I hate to lead this post with that, but it's the main point, here.

It's a good album.  Lot's of good, noodling synth-work.  Just as good as Vince's.  But, unfortunately, not as creative as the pair together.  Again, you get better magic in a group than you do on your own.  There are a few memorable tracks here, but I would personally find this album as a filler between Erasure albums.

That's why it needed the better cover.

This cover was the first one I made when I started experimenting with style layers on Photoshop.  That logo is just a plain old font that you can download from any free font site, but once you apply some layered texture styles, it turns into magic.  I must say, I impressed myself with this one.  I ran through a series of covers then where I used fractal art ripped from the web and applied layered logos instead of an actual cover.  I liked it, it worked for me.

And it works here, right?

Look, I wasted an entire post talking about the cover rather than the music.

4 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog. I can't thank you enough for creating this treasure trove new wave and post-punk albums and rarities. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It was definitely needed, as it was hard to find anything but the random track here or there on the Internet. We needed to collect a lot of the material together so that way we have something to listen to rather then a one off track

      Delete
  2. Zippyshare link no longer available. (Fantastic blog by the way)

    ReplyDelete