Thursday, June 9, 2016

Depeche Mode - Shake-Flexible-Heart - 1985

As I was discovering DM and collecting their work, these slabs of vinyl were the ones I came across second, after MftM.  I found the 12" Maxi Singles at the mall record store, and I remember specifically running home to get money out of my stash to go get them.  It was like Raiders of the Lost Ark and I had found the Golden Statue, I almost had heart palpitations.   It's weird how moments like that can stick with you your whole life.

Of course, within a single playing, I loved both Shake the Disease and It's Called A Heart.  Both well crafted and traditional Mode all the way.  I almost instantly hated Flexible.  At first, I thought it would grow on me, so I listened and listened.  I really tried, I did.  But, I dislike the song to this day.  It's to fast, to country.  The harmonica sound is irritating.

I originally, for years, just had the single songs and their one extended mix.  But, fortunately over the last 5-6 years, new official remixes and one Dreamtime Fan Mix popped up, which increased the tracklisting considerably.  And, I am very grateful for that.  I will say, though, that I always return to the original extended mixes, because they are the mixes that I grew up with and are very dear to my heart.

The cover art is flawless, and perfect.  So, a single sleeve was all that was needed, and I think it would make a fine addition on the shelf between SGR and BC.

Enjoy, this is a good one...

12 comments:

  1. still the greatest synthpop band of all time!

    With all the fan mixes out there, you could easily do this for all their classic songs ... never get tired of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point in time I had about 3-4 gigs of fan mixes, but 90% of them were horrible. It got to the point where I didn't even feel like weeding through them all, and ended up deleting them all and focused on the original stuff. If I can find some that sound GOOD, I keep them, but they are few. I do have several mix discs of Fan Mixes, and I will eventually get to those, just a matter of when....

      Delete
    2. The problem with DM, especially their old stuff, is that they are so damn good, and their remixes are already so perfect, that it's hard to top ... lol ... It's nice to hear a different take on their material every once in a while, but like you, I always go back to the originals!

      Delete
  2. As you suggested yesterday, yes this makes me happy! Thanks for an interesting set of album & single packages you've been providing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on finding that niche that excites my visitors. Some albums I thought people would love, sometimes get the lowest visitors. Then, there's albums that I think people will browse over going "meh", and they turn out to be the most popular. My top posts, surprisingly, are my Thompson Twins, Prince and Madness posts. Weird...

      Delete
  3. How could you omit Fly on The Windscreen? Now that was the single that was not a single. I dunno about It's Called a Heart, I wanted to like it, but it sounded like a greatest hits single to me.... like they were regressing. Still, it is probably better than some of that played out blues they are doing now. I remember as a teenager playing It's Called A Heart, and even my mom commented, "that's not really one of their best ones is it?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Fly On the Windscreen was sort of part of this set of records, but it was also on Black Celebration, so I shoved it off into that set, as I felt it had a home there. These don't have a home at all.

      Delete
  4. Just to confirm, FLEXIBLE really is crap - agreed! :D
    I still to this day love love love the "Edit The Shake" version of "...Disease", such a thrilling remix. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to confirm, FLEXIBLE really is crap - agreed! :D
    I still to this day love love love the "Edit The Shake" version of "...Disease", such a thrilling remix. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I ask myself is it a sin? To write shit like this, when the $$$ comes in....

      Delete
  6. You're all full of it. Flexible is great.

    Then again, they (DM) think It's Called A Heart is a piece of shit too. So at least you're in good company with your wrongness. :p

    ReplyDelete