Saturday, July 16, 2016

SPK ‎– Digitalis Ambigua, Gold And Poison - 1987

After my accidental discovery of Skinny Puppy in late 1987 and 1988, I started a thorough search for anything on the Nettwerk label, and any other bands that gave the appearance of being "Industrial".  Nine Inch Nails hadn't yet arrived on the scene, and the Industrial craze had yet to hit.  I was finding the likes of Front 242, Frontline Assembly, Severed Heads, Wire, In the Nursery and....  SPK.

Personally, this album is their best.  I would almost place this as a bit Goth, a bit Industrial, and mostly Synthpop.  It's not that hard.  But, it has a lot of great samples, noises and beats.  The vocals are somewhat mainstream, and probably would've been radio-friendly, given the chance.  But, back then the airwaves were flooded with Wang Chung, INXS and Tiffany, so fat chance of that.  In this day and age, I would probably classify this as Futurepop.  It's just not dark and scary enough to be considered Industrial.  I think it would probably fit right in with the early Sarah Mclachlan albums.

The original album was half new tracks, and half tracks from their previous album.  So, as a first on this blog, instead of expanding what an album has on it, I have reduced it instead.  I took out the tracks that were from the previous album, and added the remixes from the singles.

Honestly, I found this disc to be something of an oddity, and peculiar for the Nettwerk label.  It didn't have the caliber of the other bands that had been signed.  But, it's still fun to listen to occasionally.  Good thing is, Graeme Revell then decided to go on and score a number of great film soundtracks like the Crow, Spawn, Street Fighter and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - the Movie.  Wow.

I still think the cover is sweet, though. Steven R Gilmore is the bomb...

1 comment:

  1. A great release for certain! I too, discovered this when I was exploring the Nettwerk label's catalogue back in the mid-late 80's. 'Breathless' of course is my go-to track.

    ReplyDelete